Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Been thinking about.... Death

This is an excerpt from the post of a professor here at the college:

But, in the end, each person had to face death alone and prepare to meet his or her Maker.... The ancients developed a process called the ars moriendi, the art of facing death, and spent a lifetime preparing for the inevitable. Because death was so prevalent in their society, they
learned to be prepared at any moment. We, on the other hand, go through life glibly denying its reality and so find ourselves always surprised by its inevitable knock at our door.

(see full posting at: http://religionprofessor.blogspot.com/)

(OK, now it won't let me "un-indent"... so sorry if this is confusing)

I read his posting today. As I was thinking, I wondered how deeply do I really contemplate death. Frankly, I think about death a lot. I think about different ways I may die (in my sleep, t-boned at one of our infamous Greenville intersections, riding my bike to work, in a plane crash, etc); I think about what it would be like for other people if I died (how would they get all my stuff out of the house, who would shock the pool) and I think about being in heaven with Jesus.

Death doesn't scare me. I look forward to heaven and I'm glad that I can have confidence in my ultimate destination. But dying isn't an attractive principle. My fear about riding my bike to work is that I'll get hit or fall off and land in the ditch, slowly dying because no one can see me. And I do have moments where I often think I will actually be t-boned at the intersection (people don't always stop here).

But anyway, I thought I would throw out these thoughts to the cosmic void we call the internet and see what all y'all think (if anyone is reading this).

Blessings, TR


No comments: