Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Back to Access and followed by Worship

So I meant to talk about how we have ACCESS to God. As the Tuesday morning group is studying Romans (we are through Ch.5 now) I am confronted with the truth of our access to God through Jesus Christ.
In Romans 5 in particular Paul speaks about the benefits of our justification (which our group would tell you is a legal term meaning, "declared innocent" - regardless of your actual innocence/guilt). One of the benefits Paul mentions is that, "through Jesus Christ we have gained access by faith into this grace {reconciliation/peace with God} in which we now stand."* and as I was thinking in "legal terms" I thought about how in court you have to say, "May I approach the bench" but that Jesus has said it for us and now we can go forward to the Judge with confidence to ask for his help and mercy. In fact, the author of Hebrews says, "we can approach the throne of grace with confidence to find help in our time of need."*
Wow - what an incredible thought. Through Jesus we have access to the very presence of God. We recieve God's glory, which one commentary I recently read said is "God himself". Oh, the precious mercy and love of the Lord who does not withhold one thing from his children.

And then I am convicted about how much I withhold from those I love. That in my humanness I hold back because of fear or hurt of pride or intimidation.... but if I were to really act in my "god-ness" (through the power of the Gospel, poured out through the Holy Spirit) I would withhold nothing. In fact, I would give to the point of death for those others. Ouch, and a good lesson for me today. I don't know how that works in practical application, but how I wish to know. May the Lord give me wisdom.

Next topic... WORSHIP. Here is a quote from our service bulletin on Sunday morning. We have been reading the "Purpose Driven Life" these last two weeks and week two was on worship being a relationship (more than music, more than emotion, etc).
By Marva Dawn in her book, "How Shall We Worship", p.168
"Worship dare not be glib or superficial, ought not to dispense false assurances or manipulate emotions. Instead, genuine worship always offers the true hope of the Gospel - neither entertainment nor escapism, neither diversion nor another sort of consumerism, but the terrible truth about sin and evil and the even greater truth (in all its glory) that on the cross and through the empty tomb Christ has been victorious over iniquity, injury and death. Worship will then enfold all of us who search for hope in God's present cosmic reign and challenge us to engage in God's sovereign purposes of ministry to the world.
"Finally, worship's celebration of God's governanace will equip us with patience and endurance to endure the hardships of this life as we await the culmination of God's kingdom. This is all, indeed, good news for us each and together to tell our neighbors. Our goal is to bring the world to worship our God with us."

I love this part: "genuine worship always offers the true hope of the Gospel... terrible truth about sin and the even greater truth that....Christ has been victorious over iniquity, injury and death" - that genuine worship confronts us with our guilt and relieves us with our freedom.

Rest in that dear friends.
Love, Tiffani

No comments: