Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Oswald Chambers and the problems with the information age

I think I may have quoted this before, but maybe not....

Excerpts from "My Utmost for His Highest" - by Oswald Chambers
June 8 - "What Next?"

If you believe in Jesus, you are not to spend all your time in the smooth waters just inside the harbour bar, full of delight, but always moored; you have to get out through the harbor bar into the great deeps of God and begin to know for yourself, begin to have spiritual discernment.

Beware of harking back to what you once were when God wants you to be something you have never been.

Check out more from Oswald at: http://www.rbc.org/utmost/

Here's a little bit of my update about my problems with the information age and the global village:
1) you end up knowing too many people to really maintain quality relationships with. studies say that women can really only maintain 3 intimate friends, and the rest are less close. how do we manage that when we have close friends in 12 cities around the country?
2) you are invested IN relationships (actively) around the community in which you live, but you also want to make sure people who are either full-time or temporarily in different communities feel loved.

HOW!!?!?!?!? This is the downfall, the pitfall, the destruction that is owed to the information age. Don't get me wrong, there is a TON of great things we have gained. But the ability to communicate instantly (and thus to communicate poorly often) is not one of them.

Today I am against the "global village" (comical, even as I use this "blog" to post my thoughts to my friends and family around the country!).

No comments: