Friday, January 27, 2006

Graduate School - applications, examinations, palpitations...


OK, I crack myself up, its true. But actually, while my heart isn't racing right now, I do have a little case of the nerves.

Tomorrow I take the GRE. I don't feel especially prepared. I have spent this week studying math and not practicing the verbal or essays because I've done OK on the practice verbal tests, but not as well on the math. The problem is that even if I do "ok" (i.e. 75% right) I still only make it into the 49th percentile. Yes, you read that right. I will need to score 85% correct to get enough above the 50th percentile to be noticed! So I've been studying.

Things I know well:
Odds/Evens (what happens to them when you +, -, x, /)
Positives/Negatives (what happen when you +,-,x,/,2, etc)
Basic Algebra
The interior and exterior angles of a triangle...

Things I don't know well:
Probabilty/Factorials.....

But that is the last time you'll hear me say it, as I plan to speak positively from this point.

As the song says, "You have to accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative, latch on to the affirmative.. don't mess with mr. in-between." and so, that's what I plan to do. Smile.

The book above is the one I have used the most to study for the test. Its a good book, I recommend it to you as you prepare for the GRE.

In related news, I'm working currently on three applications: Baylor University, Abilene Christian University and Azusa Pacific University. All are great options and I'm looking forward to the opportunities that are presented by their programs.

My hope is to have the application process for all three done early next week (Azusa is due on the 31st) and to then focus on being fully present in my community here while I wait for decisions. I'll hopefully fly to Dallas in early March (right before Leah's wedding) for interviews for graduate assistantships at Baylor, and we'll see from there.

So that's the news from here. If you are the praying sort, please remember me tomorrow at 12:30 central time. The test takes about 4 hours....

Love to you and yours!

1 comment:

Erin said...

Hee hee, I am SURE and CERTAIN you'll do great! I'll be praying for you as I sit in my eight hour class tomorrow!