Monday, April 25, 2005

Damascus Road

http://www.mcc.org/damascusroad/about.html

This weekend I attended an "Anti-Racism Analysis Training" through an experience/group called "The Damascus Road" - which is organized and housed under the Menonite Central Committee (a function of the Menonite church).

I'm still a little raw, and trying to process all that I learned, recognized, realized and desire to see happen in my life and in the amercian society.

The course was split into three section: racism and brokenness, racism and identity, racism and healing. Through the experience we walked through a 500 year history of racism and oppression in America, identified ways that racism has been systemically injected into our institutions, and talked about how racism as an evil tries to destroy both whites and people of color.

It was fascinating. So hard to see how from 1492 through today racism - though changing in its form, continues to be active. Especially when so much of what we "think" is color-blind. I was challeneged in my own mind to realize that being color-blind is not the solution - for to be color-blind inevitably forces people of color to conform to my white culture. But instead I can acknowledge people of color, their background, culture and lives. Not to ignore, but to embrace. We talked about the privileges we receive as white people, just by being white. (and if you think about it - there are a ton. if you are having a hard time, think about what things that people of color often DON'T get - i.e. the freedom to browse in a store without being followed)

We did a lot of talking - trying to process through our emotions and reactions. Trying to understand how the bible could be used as justification for the decimation of native nations, for slavery, etc. Trying to look at this issue from a Christian perspective now.

The goal of the Damascus Road process, it seems, is to bring awareness to the issue, and then to train groups to begin breaking down racism within their institution. I am excited to be a part of this process at Greenville for as long as the Lord allows me to be here. I am hopeful that there are more and more people trained in this understanding, and that share the desire to see REAL equality and representation for all races on this campus.

In the meantime, I am in thoughtful prayer as to how I can go forward individually in this endeavor.

yours truly!
Tiffani

No comments: